Carpet over quarry tiles

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

Sarah

Carpet over quarry tiles

Post by Sarah » Wed 5th Jan, 2022 3:01 pm

Hi

I live in a 1860s house and have arranged to re-carpet the house. They did upstairs first before Xmas and now coming to do the front living room. I have lifted the carpet up from the from living room, that had been down for 15+ years and was in quite good nick, and under the carpet is old quarry tiles...
There had been rising damp in the walls and a damp proof wall treatment given 2006. Now I know why. Some parts of the walls in some areas are still a damp- saw a mushroom growing out of the brick work of the inglenook fireplace!

I don't think the tiles are laid on anything substantial- can't really tell but think it might be earth. One third of the room is concrete, and is laid at a higher level than the quarry tiles. I can't explain why- I don't think it was part of another room and wall moved but could be wrong.

When the old carpet was lifted up the tiles were damp, unsurprisingly. I could see the underlay and I believe a black layer or paint? As said the carpet was in reasonable nick considering, but not the walls.

I do not want to renovate the quarry tiles and do want to carpet the room. I would prefer not to have to lift up the tiles and put new floor.

How to proceed?

I have had conflicting advice re laying the carpet.
Most have advised a liquid DPM and a felt underlay. One company advised same but wool underlay (rationale made sense) others have said use standard underlay.

Won't the liquid DPM ( or any DPM for that matter) cause the quarry tiles to sweat and escape out to the walls and cause further rising damp?

Could I just use wool underlay and the carpet- won't that allow the floor to breathe? Would it damage the carpet?

I just don't know what to do.

I have the carpet fitters coming on Jan 14, although I can try and postpone this. I was shocked to see quarry tiles. I don't want a big project and change the floor, but will if I really have to.

Questions:
Has anyone had success or can advise how to lay carpet over quarry tiles, without causing major problems to the wall or the carpet..

Would I have to rip the floor up or create an secondary floor above the tiles to lay the carpet.

What do I do to get these carpets laid.....

Thanks in anticipation

Sarah

a twig

Re: Carpet over quarry tiles

Post by a twig » Wed 5th Jan, 2022 9:44 pm

Suspect the paint is “black jack” or some other sort of tar / bitumen equivalent to try and “seal” the floor before putting the carpet down, hence the damp problems in the walls.

Personally my approach would be to remove the black paint and then fit a hessian style underlay and a wool carpet.

Ideally you would resolve the concrete issue before carpeting as well but depends on your situation

Otherwise whole floor out and limecrete in :D

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Wed 5th Jan, 2022 10:29 pm

Thank you. There is no black stuff there anymore- just quarry tiles and cement. What do you advise about the cement?

I googled hessian underlay and cannot find any, only hessian backed carpet. Is that what you meant?

Would a wool underlay suffice? The carpet I had bought is man made… not sure I can return for a swap. Is that an issue? This was the option I was hoping to hear would be ok..

I’m beginning to think I have to get rid of floor and do as you suggest.. I really didn’t want to go down that avenue.

a twig

Post by a twig » Thu 6th Jan, 2022 7:00 am

Apologies yes, fingers not keeping up with brain and resulting in gibberish, felt underlay and hessian backed carpet would be the best approach I would think.

Approach to the cement / concrete area will depend on what’s underneath it, whether it is screed thrown over tiles or whether it is a full slab.

If the former I’d try and gently get rid, if the latter then again you could be looking at breaking it all out and doing a limecrete alternatives.

One key point thought - are you sure of the sources of your damp?
I was informed by a surveyor that I had rising damp and would need to remove an old 1980s concrete floor. It turned out that fixing broken rainwater goods, removing masonry paint from exterior stone walls and lowering external ground levels solved the problem to the extent that the slab could remain, so worth a check

CliffordPope

Post by CliffordPope » Thu 6th Jan, 2022 8:21 am

I once laid a large carpet over our quarry tiles and it caused horrendous damp in the carpet. Now we have several smaller rugs, leaving larger areas of tile exposed round the edges, and the damp has gone.

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Thu 6th Jan, 2022 5:36 pm

What type of carpet and underlay did you use?

To be fair the carpet I removed was not damp but there was rising damp.

I looked again and it was a black sheet of something laid down- there is a few remnants that I picked off.

I am going to order the underlay from Wilson’s but does anyone know the difference between wool and wool felt underlay? Would one be better then the other??

So I’m going to try my luck with no DPM, a wool/wool felt underlay and carpet..

Thanks

Sarah

a twig

Post by a twig » Thu 6th Jan, 2022 6:46 pm

CliffordPope wrote:
Thu 6th Jan, 2022 8:21 am
I once laid a large carpet over our quarry tiles and it caused horrendous damp in the carpet. Now we have several smaller rugs, leaving larger areas of tile exposed round the edges, and the damp has gone.
That's a great solution but then depends on the state of your now visible quarries obviously. :)
Sarah wrote:
Thu 6th Jan, 2022 5:36 pm

I am going to order the underlay from Wilson’s but does anyone know the difference between wool and wool felt underlay? Would one be better then the other??
Wool felt is usually 25% of the price of "wool only" so I'd go with that, I don't think there is any performance difference :)
Sarah wrote:
Thu 6th Jan, 2022 5:36 pm
So I’m going to try my luck with no DPM, a wool/wool felt underlay and carpet..
Fingers crossed for you, do let us know!

mardinor

Post by mardinor » Fri 7th Jan, 2022 7:41 pm

Just to add another data point. We faced the same issue 15 years ago. We went for a felt underlay with wool carpet and no problems at all. I guess it depends on the degree of moisture in the floor.

Given you’ve bought a plastic carpet already you’ve not much to lose trying felt underlay. But if it doesn’t work then above would be easier than digging out the tiles.

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Fri 7th Jan, 2022 8:42 pm

Thank you everyone. I’m waiting to hear if I can exchange the carpet, fingers crossed. I’ve gone for a thick wool underlay underlay-cost the same as wool felt underlay.
You’ve all been so helpful. Thanks again Sarah

malcolm

Post by malcolm » Sat 8th Jan, 2022 1:54 am

I lived in a house with rubber backed carpet tiles on a tiled floor. The floor looked very wet when the carpet tiles were pulled up.

Good plan to have breathable stuff throughout. Would be a very bad plan to have a breathable underlay with a rubber backed carpet as the underlay would go wet and mouldy. If the rubber backed carpet can't be avoided go for a rubber underlay too.

88v8

Post by 88v8 » Sun 9th Jan, 2022 11:19 am

Another vote for breathable underlay.
Here https://www.carpet-underlay-shop.co.uk/ ... tAodYTJrXQ

The carpet needs to be wool, or it will defeat the breathability of the underlay.

Ivor

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Sun 9th Jan, 2022 12:17 pm

Yes I appreciate that. I’m just waiting to see if I can change the carpet… and also what material the carpet is that I have purchased. It’s not rubber backed and I think the pile is polypropylene. In fact it might all be polypropylene. Googling it I found this ‘ The main benefit of polypropylene as a fabric is its moisture transfer abilities; this textile cannot absorb any moisture, and instead, moisture passes through polypropylene fabric entirely.’
So if I can’t change it I might get away with it along with the wool underlay. I am buying the Wilson’s thick wool underlay.

Thanks

Sarah

MatthewC

Post by MatthewC » Tue 11th Jan, 2022 5:15 pm

Everyone has looked at your damp tiles/underlay question, but I'd like to ask about the source of the dampness. Have you had a look to see how high the ground is outside your house? You really need a decent difference of 6" or more to ensure that the dampness in the soil does not just run straight through the wall into your floor. Even worse is to have a solid path/paving right up to the base of the wall at the inside floor level - we had this and it caused damage to the wall in the long term as well as rotting joists inside.

Matthew

a twig

Post by a twig » Tue 11th Jan, 2022 5:53 pm

MatthewC wrote:
Tue 11th Jan, 2022 5:15 pm
Everyone has looked at your damp tiles/underlay question, but I'd like to ask about the source of the dampness….
Ahem… ;)
a twig wrote:
Thu 6th Jan, 2022 7:00 am
One key point thought - are you sure of the sources of your damp?
I was informed by a surveyor that I had rising damp and would need to remove an old 1980s concrete floor. It turned out that fixing broken rainwater goods, removing masonry paint from exterior stone walls and lowering external ground levels solved the problem to the extent that the slab could remain, so worth a check

Sarah

Post by Sarah » Tue 11th Jan, 2022 6:46 pm

Ground is at least a foot lower then internal floor- there are steps up to my house. Worth noting the damp is also a problem on the internal walls between rooms, not just exterior walls.

I found out the carpet I purchased is backed by a hessian/felt mix and I think will allow the tiles to ‘breathe…’

Thanks

Sarah