BioEthanol Fire

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

RBailey

BioEthanol Fire

Post by RBailey » Fri 21st Jan, 2022 4:22 pm

Hi All,

Not strictly period property but I know we all like a good fire so this is an option I thought I'd share.

Since we removed the deathtrap cooker, I mean AGA, our kitchen doesn't have any heat so we've been after an option and saw bio ethanol fires mentioned on the other place.

A bit of googling and we've just got this:

They use "renewably" sourced ethanol and burn clean (CO2 + H20) so no flue needed.
They come in a wide range of styles from antique, log burner to ultra modern and you can even retro fit them into existing fireplaces.
The heat output for this model is said to be 2 kw, it gets warm / hot but not log burner temperature.

Thought I'd share as this might be of interested to some of you here.

Cheers,
Richard B.

pip&mims

Re: BioEthanol Fire

Post by pip&mims » Sat 22nd Jan, 2022 12:16 am

Very nice :D

We've been planning getting one for our extension which is primarily going to be a *summer* room...
when we finally get around to building it (it's only been in the pipeline two years, lol!), although over the past few weeks - since Pip suggested adding a wood burner in our bedroom - I've been thinking about putting one in there too!

I'm looking at the Le Feu type :wink:

Mims x

worms

Post by worms » Sat 22nd Jan, 2022 8:26 am

Two comments:

Be careful when filling with bioethanol and lighting, I'm told there have been some pretty nasty accidents with this type of appliance - probably all down to operator error, but we all get distracted and make mistakes from time to time.

The bioethanol fuel for these is a lot cheaper than any other alcohol available in the DIY stores (meths, rubbing alcohol etc) and is often a good alternative.
Last edited by worms on Sat 22nd Jan, 2022 8:29 am, edited 1 time in total.

worms

Post by worms » Sat 22nd Jan, 2022 8:27 am

Hmm... that one duplicated for some reason. Sorry! :oops:

RBailey

Post by RBailey » Mon 24th Jan, 2022 8:12 am

worms wrote:
Sat 22nd Jan, 2022 8:26 am
Be careful when filling with bioethanol and lighting, I'm told there have been some pretty nasty accidents with this type of appliance - probably all down to operator error, but we all get distracted and make mistakes from time to time.
Yes, pouring fuel into a burning or hot fire can be very bad news. One big drawback of them.

worms wrote:
Sat 22nd Jan, 2022 8:26 am
The bioethanol fuel for these is a lot cheaper than any other alcohol available in the DIY stores (meths, rubbing alcohol etc) and is often a good alternative.
Yes, its not cheap if it was the main everyday source of heat but I last paid £39 for 12 litres.

Cheers,
Richard B.