Deciding on current render.

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

Bogart

Deciding on current render.

Post by Bogart » Tue 1st Feb, 2022 11:56 am

We have an outbuilding that need a bit of attention as seen by the attached pictures.
render1.JPG
render1.JPG (182.52 KiB) Viewed 476 times
render2.JPG
render2.JPG (174.38 KiB) Viewed 476 times
render3.JPG
render3.JPG (121.33 KiB) Viewed 476 times
Pics1 and 2 show where render has come away from clay lump. Now first question does the render look like lime render ? If so can I get away with a patch job or would it be better to do the whole end on the building some 10m2
The flaking paint I think is just normal masonry paint, surprised it lasted this long. Will use obviously a colour matching limewash on any repaired area.

Pic 3 shows damage to the door frame, any suggestions how to build it back up before rendering.

malcolm

Re: Deciding on current render.

Post by malcolm » Tue 1st Feb, 2022 8:42 pm

Might be lime, but if the rest of the building was built from clay it might well be something a bit more earthy. Looks unusually thin for a render. I doubt there would be any problem patching it up with lime.

The waterproof masonry paint would be more the concern for me. This is all on the outside I'm guessing. Modern waterproof paints will let water in but will never let it out. It would be very nice to scrape the rest of the waterproof paint off. That will probably cause damage to the finish but fixing the broken bits and then some limewash will make the wall work as it should. A lime skim followed by limewash would work over the damage caused by removing the masonry paint if you want it pretty.

For gaps around doors often the gap is filled with oakum. The oakum is pushed well below flush just for sealing and then it's skimmed over with lime.

Bogart

Post by Bogart » Tue 1st Feb, 2022 10:10 pm

Thanks for the reply. Yes the render is thin about 5mm if that is what it actually is. Maybe somebody just threw some mud at the clay lump. :D When the weather gets a bit warmer I will see about trying to sand off the paint. If underneath looks ok
a repair will suffice, just set myself aside a month to do a million coats of limewash

MatthewC

Post by MatthewC » Fri 4th Feb, 2022 8:43 pm

That really looks like a thin cement skim over the wall. I reckon it could come off quite easily so if you intend patching be careful the patch doesn't get larger when you touch it! OTOH, if you try then you might be able to remove it all and so allow the wall to become drier - it might even not need the render?

Bogart

Post by Bogart » Sun 6th Feb, 2022 11:55 am

It does come off easily but is definitely not cement based render, totally different texture. So give it a few weeks hopefully warmer weather will strip it all off and put new render on. Do not fancy just limewashing the lump
as , in my mind, never looks right. Is okay on inside of outbuildings etc.