Nice house for someone on here!

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

Cubist

Re: Nice house for someone on here!

Post by Cubist » Thu 10th Mar, 2022 6:14 pm

Indeed, a lovely house and lots for someone to do..but not me I'm afraid, its looks a bit too close to the river for my tastes.

And that reminds me... before we finally settled on this old place we took a long hard look at a place that seemed to tick all of our boxes. Suitably impressed by the house, grounds and its position overlooking the river we wandered off to a local pub, an important ticked box on our list, to mull things over. While sitting in the bar partaking of a welcome pint we were on the brink of deciding to make an offer when I happened to look up.

Behind the First Lady and a couple of feet above her head was an, until then unnoticed, sign which indicated the depth of the water that had flooded the place a couple of years before :shock:

We ran off.

worms

Post by worms » Thu 10th Mar, 2022 7:10 pm

Cubist wrote:
Thu 10th Mar, 2022 6:14 pm
a bit too close to the river for my tastes.
Perhaps, (as the earlier occupant would have said) "If you can keep your head about you, when all about you are losing theirs..." :)

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Fri 11th Mar, 2022 8:40 am

Cubist wrote:
before we finally settled on this old place we took a long hard look at a place that seemed to tick all of our boxes.
Was that place near the Severn by any chance?

Bewdley is very nice, but flooding is most definitely a problem there. I suspect this place *may* be far enough above the river, but it would want checking out! Ironbridge is the most extreme example, the gorge is so steep that you can have 2 properties - literally next to each other - one of which regularly floods and one of which never floods - but try convincing the insurers of that!

£285k is only a guide price, as it's an auction property, and I've found guide prices can be farcical - some auction houses put stupidly low ones on, a dilapidated house was put on at £7k, it sold for £90k. One thing that would put a lot of folks off this place is it looks like there is no vehicle access or parking.

plasticpigeon

Post by plasticpigeon » Fri 11th Mar, 2022 9:14 am

I just thought it was a nice house in a nice place. I know what you mean about guide prices. Look at this, one pound guide price, 180k sale price!!!!

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/m ... p-16981701

https://www.birminghammail.co.uk/news/m ... t-17171008

Cubist

Post by Cubist » Fri 11th Mar, 2022 4:34 pm

Feltwell wrote:
Fri 11th Mar, 2022 8:40 am
Cubist wrote:
before we finally settled on this old place we took a long hard look at a place that seemed to tick all of our boxes.
Was that place near the Severn by any chance?
Yep, the pub was/is a lovely old place with a pontoon jetty right outside. House was gorgeous too and for weeks afterwards I was plotting solutions for how to defeat the floods when they might come. The First Lady beat those ideas out of my head while she was pointing out that her shoe collection would need special protection - in the shape of a house elsewhere :roll:.

plasticpigeon

Post by plasticpigeon » Fri 11th Mar, 2022 8:24 pm

I'm beginning to think Shropshire is the place to be. I looked at a money pit on the Shropshire/Wales/Hereford borders and am seriously considering it!

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Sat 12th Mar, 2022 9:57 am

plasticpigeon wrote:
Fri 11th Mar, 2022 8:24 pm
I'm beginning to think Shropshire is the place to be. I looked at a money pit on the Shropshire/Wales/Hereford borders and am seriously considering it!
Shhhh! Don't tell everyone. Shropshire is lovely, South Shropshire especially, and is seriously overlooked as a place to live or visit. Lots of lovely rolling countryside, very green (it's dairy country for the most part), lots of good walking if you're into that, and it's a big old county - drive from top to bottom is 1 1/2 - 2 hours. The only blot is Telford, which I do live near, but even that has it's nice bits.
Cubist wrote:
Fri 11th Mar, 2022 4:34 pm
her shoe collection would need special protection - in the shape of a house elsewhere :roll:.
:lol:

Cubist

Post by Cubist » Sat 12th Mar, 2022 12:06 pm

|It is indeed a wonderful part of the world and our little corner, to my/our mind, is particularly appealing. Much further away from Telford, and its principal employer - HMRC - but sadly still within their reach. :evil:

Plenty of money pits infrequently available but hastily snapped up by the adventurous and foolhardy. Occasionally though the place attracts hippies and other hobbits searching for Rivendell - its just over the hill in the next valley to us - true. :roll:

paulc

Post by paulc » Sun 13th Mar, 2022 5:44 pm

Feltwell wrote:
Fri 11th Mar, 2022 8:40 am
£285k is only a guide price, as it's an auction property, and I've found guide prices can be farcical
But it is for sale by the "modern method of auction". So the buyer has to stump up a sizeable non-refundable deposit once the hammer "drops". If the sale falls through, then that money is gone for good. The whole MMoA process is farcical, and I for one would avoid any property being sold that way.