Price for reroofing.

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

plasticpigeon

Price for reroofing.

Post by plasticpigeon » Mon 14th Mar, 2022 10:02 pm

I am toying with the idea of making an offer on a property. If anyone could help with re roofing prices I would be very grateful. I think the footprint of the property is around 9m x 9m or a square of something in the region of 80m^2. Its a Victorian semi with a roof covering of small clay tiles that seem to be known round Birmingham as dreadnought tiles although I believe that is just a trade name. Its a complicated roof where the main roof has a double pitch, there are 2 gables at 90 degrees to this and a small pitched roof dormer. I know this is not much to go on but I haven't really got any photos to enlighten I'm afraid. Any idea of price for re roofing using as many of the old tiles as possible would be very helpful if anyone can make an estimate. My totally finger in the air guess is around £30,000 based on the price of re roofing my present house 10 years ago which is half the size and was covered with synthetic slate that cost 8k including some (very poor) chimney repairs, but I'd rather not rely on my wild guesswork.

a twig

Re: Price for reroofing.

Post by a twig » Mon 14th Mar, 2022 11:12 pm

Getting any work done at the moment seems to be 50-100% more than pre-pandemic.

Getting someone in for a day to dot and dab 4 full size plasterboard sheets onto a wall cost me £500 the other week

plasticpigeon

Post by plasticpigeon » Mon 14th Mar, 2022 11:17 pm

Thats a bit crazy. Not sure I can do the roofing job myself though!

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Mon 14th Mar, 2022 11:28 pm

PP, you've seen pictures of Feltwell Towers, this place sounds similar. Dreadnought is indeed a trade name, similar plain clay tiles were made by many others. I'd think twice about reusing tiles - it's the scaffold that costs, if the existing tiles are starting to break up ("shale" - i.e. delaminate) you'll be back up there every 2-3 years to change more, even if you weed out all the ones that are going bad now. You'll also find a lot that look good will break up when lifted and you'll get less back than you think.

It's a false economy - buy new clay tiles and within 5 years you won't know the difference - except that they are a bit more even than even the machine-made tiles the Victorians mostly used in later times. You also will be very, very lucky to get tile-and-a-halves as reclaims, they usually have to be new, giving an unpleasant "zipper" effect at the roof edges compared to the surrounding used full tiles. Why are they so rare? They're usually cemented on and are a bit exposed at the edge of the roof - so they're usually quite weathered and break up when lifted.

Costs - a lot depends on the state of the timber underneath. Feltwell Towers, 16 years ago, was £16k. That paid for scaffolding, a complete roof strip, breathable membrane, new battens, new tiles, all rubbish removed. Ridge tiles were reused. Complicated roof here, it also included replacing 2 roof windows, fitting one extra one and changing a rotten dormer window, though that was fitting only, I paid for the windows separately. It included a single storey scullery out the back. I was lucky - in the whole roof we had to replace one rafter end, that was it, the rest of the timber was solid.

Time has marched on, I did get a good deal, but I'd say your £30k would likely cover it.

G&J Roofing in Wombourne - they were very good, though if they are still trading it will be the boss's sons running it now, the boss and his right hand man who were here will be well & truly retired by now.

wobs

Post by wobs » Tue 15th Mar, 2022 1:25 pm

A new roof should be free, as its on the house!

Oh, there's my coat.

Craig89

Post by Craig89 » Tue 15th Mar, 2022 8:10 pm

Out of all the jobs that I have tackled on my house, cutting the new roof was one of the most difficult. However providing that the timbers are in good shape then stripping a roof and fitting membrane, battens and retiling are well within the possibilities of an enthusiastic DIYer, I would be more than happy to do it again, especially considering the figures that have already been banded around. The most difficult parts are any leadwork around any chimneys and tiling the verge.

Contrary to what Feltwell says we reused all of the tiles on the 2 roofs done here. They are however Broseley tiles and I consider them to be amongst the best roof tiles ever made. We also purchased reclaimed for the extension. New ones, as Feltwell says, are too perfect. Tile and halves along with eaves tiles were purchased new again for reasons described by Feltwell.