Bread oven door?

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

Zebra

Bread oven door?

Post by Zebra » Wed 16th Mar, 2022 1:16 pm

Hello, it's been a while since I've posted on this forum, I hope you're all doing well. I'm trying to improve the house's heat retention, and an area of uninsulated heat loss is the bread oven. So I'm thinking of making a free-standing, non-permanent, nice-looking door for it, perhaps from oak. I don't think there ever was a door on it originally because I've found no fixings for hinges in the mortar. Has anyone seen such a thing? Were there ever such things as free-standing wooden bread oven doors? Picture attached of the opening as it is now. Thanks!
Attachments
bread oven.jpg
bread oven.jpg (155.61 KiB) Viewed 727 times

Feltwell

Re: Bread oven door?

Post by Feltwell » Wed 16th Mar, 2022 2:07 pm

Zebra! Welcome back.

I've only ever seen cast iron doors - but - I see nothing wrong with your oak idea.

I made some cupboard doors to access uninsulated eaves spaces in our roof that are old pine on the outside, but then have foam insulation sheet in the middle, screwed onto a plywood back board - so a foam sandwich. They work a treat, with draught proofing round the edge they keep the cold at bay.

You could perhaps do a similar thing - doesn't matter that you can see if it's obviously modern when it's pulled out.

malcolm

Post by malcolm » Wed 16th Mar, 2022 4:13 pm

Worth an eBay search for bread oven door or pizza oven door. There are a few interesting looking new cast iron ones that come with a surround and hinges for not too much money. A lot of them seem to attach with screws. Cast iron feels more authentic than wood as there would have once have been an open fire in there.

The actual insulation could be hidden away behind the door. With a little cunning it might be removable for when you want to bake bread.

danjennings1958

Post by danjennings1958 » Wed 16th Mar, 2022 4:26 pm

these an architectural salvage yard called abbotsbridge near sudbury in suffolk - i spotted a couple of really nice cast iron doors and frames in there last week that might fit,worth a call.

LadyArowana

Post by LadyArowana » Wed 16th Mar, 2022 8:38 pm

Hello there stripy friend! Not much help on the door issue, other than to second the eBay recommendation.

Zebra

Post by Zebra » Wed 16th Mar, 2022 9:47 pm

Feltwell, I like the foam sandwich idea, I think I did something similar on one of the loft hatches.
Hiya malcolm, hope things are going well with you.. is that right that there would once have been an open fire in there? Cos there's no marks at all on the stone base, no discolouring in the middle, no soot, no blackening of the mortar or brick, and no outlet for any smoke. There's no opening beneath, either, for a fire on a lower level. So I'm not even sure that it was used for bread. I suppose they might have put a tray of hot embers in there with the bread to raise? So as to the idea of making my own bread in there, I'm not too sure about that :) ......although my baking has improved during the lockdown, with no pointing, rendering, carpentry or plumbing to do.
Hello LadyA, I hope the servants are all minding their manners.

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Wed 16th Mar, 2022 10:39 pm

Zebra wrote:
Wed 16th Mar, 2022 9:47 pm
So I'm not even sure that it was used for bread.
Completely amateur musing - salt storage perhaps? I have heard somewhere of an opening near an inglenook fireplace that, due to being kept dry by the fire, was used for salt storage back when it was a valuable commodity.

Zebra

Post by Zebra » Thu 17th Mar, 2022 12:05 pm

Feltwell wrote:
Wed 16th Mar, 2022 10:39 pm
Completely amateur musing - salt storage perhaps?
I have heard this somewhere too and I think it's a very viable theory, and would also explain why there's no evidence of ever having been a door on it. Seems a lot of trouble to go to for storing salt but who knows. I have heard that at one point my house was used as a farriers, I wonder if there are materials for that purpose which also need to be kept dry.

tobydog

Post by tobydog » Thu 17th Mar, 2022 2:39 pm

This is our inglenook with salt hole (at least that's what we were told the hole was for).
Attachments
b.jpg
b.jpg (94.84 KiB) Viewed 650 times

noj

Post by noj » Thu 17th Mar, 2022 3:31 pm

We've got an original oak door on our bread oven. No hinges, it's thick enough to stand on its own and has a couple of wooden handles.

Will try and post a pic later.

It was limewashed at some point, painted at another.

noj

Post by noj » Fri 18th Mar, 2022 10:34 pm

Some pics
oven2.jpg
oven2.jpg (181.33 KiB) Viewed 618 times
oven4.jpg
oven4.jpg (209.87 KiB) Viewed 618 times
oven1.jpg
oven1.jpg (135.13 KiB) Viewed 618 times

Zebra

Post by Zebra » Wed 23rd Mar, 2022 3:56 pm

Awesome noj and tobydog, that's so helpful. Yours is original from what era, noj? That's so helpful to see the style of it, I think that's just what I'll do (although foam backed as per feltwell's suggestion). That bread oven is different from mine in that yours has the second opening beneath. But it's bigger than your salt hole, tobydog, so really good to know that that's a thing, but I think its use remains a mystery!

noj

Post by noj » Thu 24th Mar, 2022 10:11 am

It's hard to date, it's tagged on to a large inglenook but the brickwork isn't tied together so it's possibly an addition? It does have a small flue above the dome of the oven that vents into the side of the main chimney and the bricks are similar (slightly hard to tell since a PO power sanded the limewash off them!).

There must be some void in there, the inside of the dome is created without any mortar and I assume there should be some way for fumes to get to the flue? The dome on the outside is mortared, unrendered, but limewashed and emulsioned brick which is in a lean-to utility room. Might be time to get the endoscope out...

The actual date must be in the early 1700's, it's in the 'new' cottage that's all a bit more square and has plaster rather than daub. The second inglenook at the other end of the room is a lot more rustic.

JanieB

Post by JanieB » Wed 27th Apr, 2022 9:52 pm

There was a bread oven (actually 3 of them, all different) in the farmhouse I moved into 30 odd years ago. The doors weren’t on hinges. Two of the doors were wood and one was metal. They all had handles and as far as I can gather were just lodged into the front of the oven by force. Someone local told me they used to put wet clay round the edges to keep the heat in. It was an area the romans mined for clay for their tiles.

Gothichome

Post by Gothichome » Thu 28th Apr, 2022 10:46 pm

Janie and all, I believe another fix or sealing the bred oven door was left over bread dough, Stuffed around the cracks, when the filler was hard you knew the bred was done. I think it as from one of Ruth Goodmans farm series that i learnt that.
Ron