Rim latch query

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

Craig89

Rim latch query

Post by Craig89 » Thu 17th Mar, 2022 9:02 am

A straight forward one i hope, I'm about to order new rim latches for 10 doors in my house:

https://www.broughtons.com/store/produc ... -black-lh/

2 of the doors open outward, are the latches fitted on the outside of the door or on the inside, with the bolt reversed and some sort of catch cut into the door frame?

Thanks, Craig

Cubist

Re: Rim latch query

Post by Cubist » Thu 17th Mar, 2022 10:15 am

Hi Craig,

Outside would be the most simple and effective approach but may be visually unappealing. Its possible to fit the lock inside but that would require some significant surgery to the door casement to accommodate the bolt receiver/box.

Cheers,
Cubist

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Thu 17th Mar, 2022 7:18 pm

Hi Craig

I'd say outside - all the doors here with rim locks are inward opening, the one outward opening door (to the cellar, off the hallway) has a mortice lock - I'd say if you got doors opening onto a "posh" area like the hallway then they would have used a mortice lock.

Craig89

Post by Craig89 » Thu 17th Mar, 2022 9:46 pm

The 2 doors in question are, 1 off the upstairs landing to the attic and the other from the utility to under the stairs. So not exactly in posh areas. The better half thinks it would look odd to have them on the outside with all the others on the inside which I do understand. But the reality is I don't think they would normally be used on the inside of an outward opening door. Hmmmmm....first world problems

Craig89

Post by Craig89 » Fri 18th Mar, 2022 9:20 am

I think I have come to the conclusion that a rim latch on the inside would require too much butchery to the frame and just wouldnt be "correct". Also I don't think it would look right on the outside so am probably just going to go for a couple of small mortise latches.

Thanks for your thoughts

Craig

plasticpigeon

Post by plasticpigeon » Fri 18th Mar, 2022 10:37 am

Just for reference, I have one outwards opening door in my house that has the rim latch on the outside. Strange as the person inside could get locked in, but as you say any other way would be too much effort.

a twig

Post by a twig » Sun 20th Mar, 2022 6:04 pm

plasticpigeon wrote:
Fri 18th Mar, 2022 10:37 am
Just for reference, I have one outwards opening door in my house that has the rim latch on the outside. Strange as the person inside could get locked in, but as you say any other way would be too much effort.
Depends who the person inside is - might have been a sensible precaution! :twisted: :twisted:

malcolm

Post by malcolm » Sun 20th Mar, 2022 8:05 pm

I'm sure there was a rim latch in my grandmother's house that was mounted on a wooden plinth to get it past the door jamb. That was probably an alteration from when the door was made to open the other way.

I wouldn't retain the locking function from the outside if you have children in the house. Too much fun to be had there.

CliffordPope

Post by CliffordPope » Tue 5th Apr, 2022 9:31 am

It's interesting that the advert distinguishes between left and right handed locks - presumably so that the catches can be uniformally above, or below if you prefer, the level of the latch, regardless of which side the door hinges on?

Our house has an original mixture - the locks are all the same, but the catches are up or down depending on which side the door hinges. I've never noticed that until reading this thread.

Craig89

Post by Craig89 » Tue 5th Apr, 2022 11:58 am

I have decided on some small mortise latches for the 2 outward opening doors, having chose them with the same backset as the rim latches so externally they will all look the same.

Yes broughtons do sell handed as opposed to just turning them through 180 degrees to fit either side. It just makes things a bit more uniform.

I have disabled all of the thumb locks with some bits of brass to stop their movement.

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Wed 6th Apr, 2022 1:56 pm

If you used the rim locks here on the "wrong" side, you'd be putting the key in upside down, which would be a bit odd. Plus often the keyhole is set a little lower than the spindle for the doorknob.