A well-dressed house

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

88v8

A well-dressed house

Post by 88v8 » Sun 22nd May, 2022 9:51 am

So many period houses promise much externally, but the interiors have been blandernised into a 'footballers' wives' of white space, modern furniture and inappropriate fittings.

This one, whilst perhaps beyond the average price range, is imho a nice example of a suitably furnished and well-dressed period house.
https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/ ... el=RES_BUY
The kitchen, ever seen a light fitting with two colours of shade? Me neither.
And I like the red highlighting on those blue cupboard doors.
I presume that's an unobtrusive tele over the drawing room fireplace? No teles in other rooms.... good.
The study... a wall painted in a generic landscape, and hung with landscape pictures, interesting idea. What's the floor in there?
And did you ever see such a well-executed set of bedrooms.
I like the plants growing in the paving....

No doubt you will find other houses that you might like to add here.

Ivor

plasticpigeon

Re: A well-dressed house

Post by plasticpigeon » Tue 24th May, 2022 11:05 pm

In the city that often confuses change for "Progress", here is a rare survivor near me that caught my eye. Lovely house, tatesfully decorated and an impressive price to boot. I am amazed that the woodwork has survived with the dark varnish for over 100 years. The overdoors are impressive and unusual too in what is a large but not extravagantly ornamented turn of the century villa, and the bath with wooden surround seems to have avoided both rot and changing fashions to make for a fascinating period feature. Lets hope the next owners appreciate it!

https://www.rightmove.co.uk/properties/ ... el=RES_BUY

LadyArowana

Re: A well-dressed house

Post by LadyArowana » Sat 28th May, 2022 9:10 pm

Oh dear, I rather like a “footballer’s wife” house makeover :lol: I did that in the kitchen, it’s very white, a bit shiny and my glass fronted units might be described as curated….. and that’s before we mention the gold velvet sofas and the Italian carved mirror in the hallway.