Embossed Edwardian ceiling paper

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

JBean

Embossed Edwardian ceiling paper

Post by JBean » Sat 2nd Jan, 2021 3:51 pm

I hesitate to post this as a search of the forums reveals some rather grumpy previous exchanges about Anaglypta and Lincrusta, but advice would be welcome.

Part of our dining room ceiling has collapsed (the section in the bay window). We have found someone to repair it, and he will remove all of the current ceiling paper to get a smooth final finish.

We're planning on getting it re-papered. I searched for Anaglypta but that seems to be vinyl these days, which doesn't sound a good idea. The pattern we have in there now is 'Derby' which I suspect is a fairly recent choice, but in the adjacent living room we have a ceiling paper which someone seemingly knowledgeable about such things told me looked original to the house (1905). Photo attached (I hope).

Can anyone help? Is there good embossed paper available that doesn't include plastic? And is there anyone who offers old patterns that might include the one from our living room?

Many thanks for any advice.

IMG_5089.jpg
IMG_5089.jpg (71.91 KiB) Viewed 485 times

noj

Re: Embossed Edwardian ceiling paper

Post by noj » Sat 2nd Jan, 2021 7:20 pm

The Anaglypta Original range is plastic free, they do Derby, but not something that matches your other paper. https://www.anaglypta.co.uk/our-papers/brand/original

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Sat 2nd Jan, 2021 9:55 pm

Vinyl really won't do any harm on a ceiling, it doesn't need to breath. I suspect most of the traditional patterns won't be in vinyl anyway though.
Sorry, I'm only aware of Anaglypta and Lincrusta as current manufacturers. It's shame it got a bit heated when "Mr Lincrusta" was posting - he knew his stuff, we need people like that.

LadyArowana

Post by LadyArowana » Sun 3rd Jan, 2021 8:29 am

Feltwell wrote:
Sat 2nd Jan, 2021 9:55 pm
It's shame it got a bit heated when "Mr Lincrusta" was posting - he knew his stuff, we need people like that.

It appears from Linkedin the guy in question ( Andy Sarson ) is still the technical and development manager at Lincrusta. They also still sell the restoration kit so you can replicate old designs https://lincrusta.com/restoration

JBean

Post by JBean » Mon 4th Jan, 2021 5:34 pm

Thanks all for the advice. Good to know that there is a non-vinyl option, and that it may not matter anyway. I'm not sure we're up to replicating the design ourselves, but helpful to know that's an option too!