This 'ere forum........

For discussions about topics related to Period Property in the UK

Moderators: Simon Wright, RobT

YorkshireCottage

Re: This 'ere forum........

Post by YorkshireCottage » Sat 24th Apr, 2021 7:26 pm

I've come and gone but find the forum really useful. I'm on various Facebook groups but the politics, and the opinions, and the dramas, and the nitpicking, and the witch-hunting are just exhausting. I've left a few groups due to people who allegedly "love their period home" posting about how they are going to rip out the original fireplaces or open up the rooms to make an open plan space - it was either leave or be one of "those" people.....
So in summary, don't go - I like it here, and it's useful to flick through the past posts if I have a query about anything specific :)

YorkshireCottage

Post by YorkshireCottage » Sat 24th Apr, 2021 7:33 pm

I should add that I really miss the ability to waste endless hours looking at lovely houses in Property of the Month. They would be really useful now for ideas as we're restoring our farmhouse.

MatthewC

Post by MatthewC » Sun 25th Apr, 2021 9:35 am

YorkshireCottage wrote:
Sat 24th Apr, 2021 7:33 pm
I should add that I really miss the ability to waste endless hours looking at lovely houses in Property of the Month. They would be really useful now for ideas as we're restoring our farmhouse.
In which case you might like http://www.wreckoftheweek.co.uk/ which seems to be back in operation

Zebra

Post by Zebra » Sun 25th Apr, 2021 10:36 am

I post very rarely these days, but this forum was so important to me when I took on my tiny 17th C house 10 years ago, and the advice received here is what gave me the confidence to do all the work I did, making a grotty damp house so gorgeous. I've met several members, and appreciate it all so much.
Just that, really. Wanted to add my neigh to the voices expressing their appreciation.

YorkshireCottage

Post by YorkshireCottage » Sun 25th Apr, 2021 7:51 pm

MatthewC wrote:
Sun 25th Apr, 2021 9:35 am
YorkshireCottage wrote:
Sat 24th Apr, 2021 7:33 pm
In which case you might like http://www.wreckoftheweek.co.uk/ which seems to be back in operation
Oh God, I LOVE wreck of the week. They featured Borrenthwaite Hall ages ago, which I had had my eye on when it was on the market. Here it is: https://www.wreckoftheweek.co.uk/2013/1 ... mbria.html
The features in that place - just amazing. Apparently it had interesting owners. I did a bit of hunting and it appears they also had interesting neighbours (very religious, out to convert the Eden Valley).

Feltwell

Post by Feltwell » Sun 2nd May, 2021 4:57 pm

Well, I've left it 3 weeks but I've had no reply from RobT or Simon, in fact I can see the message I sent hasn't been retrieved. So I can only think that they've shut the website down as being commercially unviable but left the forum up as it has active participants. The hosting for the forum is unlikely be free, and there always a possibility that it'll go down one day - there have been problems before when security certificates have elapsed. If one of them reads this and this isn't the case, please let us know!

I'd hate to lose all the contacts on here, so my thoughts turn to how we can safeguard this. I am one of the least social media savvy individuals out there - I do have a little used Facebook account, only because Mrs F got the hump at me using hers to speak to one particular friend, so set one up for me!

I don't think Facebook is a great platform for a forum, I think it works better like we have here - but I could set up a private group, give out the details on here, and you could all apply to join just so we have contacts saved for when the inevitable happens. In the meantime we keep posting here.

Or, Lord help me, I could try to set up another forum. I've had a quick look and there are proprietary hosting sites out there, I'd need to ask everyone for a modest annual fee (depends on numbers - but we're looking at probably £2 or £3 a year each to cover the costs, no intention to make money from it).

Or, we could risk it and do nought.

So, let me know what you think - Facebook, New Forum or Do you feel lucky, Punk? ;-)

Feltwell, also occasionally known as Geoff.

tobydog

Post by tobydog » Mon 3rd May, 2021 8:27 am

Hi Geoff,

Feels strange calling you Geoff after all these years!

I have to confess that I am likely to be even lower than you in the food chain when it comes to being social media savvy. I only have a What’s App account because my sisters forced me into it!

Happy to share personal details elsewhere. My partner is very Facebook savvy so she can lead the way.

Thanks

Tobydog (Colin)

Dumsey

Post by Dumsey » Mon 3rd May, 2021 4:57 pm

I don't often post but do often read. This is both a fascinating and useful forum, with people who have vast amounts/depths of knowledge, it would be such a shame for it to disappear one day. I know what forums can take to keep going as I used to know the admins of a couple of other (car) ones, so I am also very happy to donate towards keeping this one running.
In the meantime, rather than starting up somewhere else as a backup, maybe someone could keep a list of all the interested parties from here. We could let them have our names/usernames and email addresses, so that if the worst were to happen everyone could be contacted and redirected...

Dumsey/Alison
Last edited by Dumsey on Mon 3rd May, 2021 5:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Drayton

Post by Drayton » Mon 3rd May, 2021 5:41 pm

I never contribute anything useful so I didn't reply immedately as you can manage very well without me, even though I read all of it pretty constantly. For what its worth I'm not on facebook (though I have been dragged kicking and screaming to Whatsapp) and I would be prepared to pay a sub to keep up with everything/everyone.

A thankless task running something like this, though, so I'll understand if you vanish into the Other Place/Outer Space.

Drayton/Miriam

88v8

Post by 88v8 » Mon 3rd May, 2021 8:02 pm

No padlock in the header bar... maybe the certificate has expired....

I don't post here much now but I would be very sorry if this great resource and pool of knowledge were to vanish.
I suppose some of it could be saved in the Wayback machine, but to search the machine one has to know exactly what one is seeking so it's not ideal and certainly not a substitute for a live Q&A.

Other forums I inhabit have a Donation button which does exactly as it suggests, and offsets at least some of the cost.
One forum runs ads, but they can be removed for a donation.

Even though I am now an infrequent, I would be happy to pay towards the cost of the forum.
Or a replacement thereof.
I don't do Facebook.

Ivor

Kearn

Post by Kearn » Mon 3rd May, 2021 9:48 pm

Certainly this collective knowledge has been very valuable to me along the accidental process of care for this old house we currently call home, along with much time spent nosing into others’ intriguing homes and challenges as a form of procrastination...with zero relevance to my ongoing topics or work!!
But as it happens, we are about to embark on a new, bigger challenge this year, which will likely keep me learning and needing more helpful experience than I have to date for years to come, so I would hate to no longer be able to tap into this group...

Facebook groups are actually fairly useful, it seems that is what the platform has really morphed into over time along with businesses having an outlet. I rarely use it for friends any longer and only keep an account for the two reasons above.
For example the Alfa Owners club is now hosted this way and it works very well on the whole for those who prefer spanners and a big boot, to tech!

More than happy also to contribute a few shiny coins per year to enable a more focussed forum that can benefit ongoing, I’ve saved more cash through avoiding mistakes from other peoples’ experience on here than I could count, so that equation easily balances!

I would fear that the biggest risk is the potential loss of the existing goldmine of historic chat stored within the forum itself - no idea if and how that might be extracted or safeguarded...

And to continue the signatory theme...
Kearn/Kearn (yes that is my actual name!!)
Cheers

RobT

Post by RobT » Tue 4th May, 2021 3:45 pm

Hi all,

a quick note to confirm that there are no plans to discontinue the forum and it will continue in its current format.

RobT

Drayton

Post by Drayton » Tue 4th May, 2021 4:13 pm

Yay! Thanks. Very much appreciated. :D

simonwright1
Site Admin

Post by simonwright1 » Tue 4th May, 2021 4:20 pm

Apologies for the delay in posting.

Feltwell